Go to content
61e577434108e_kettenis_luftansicht_02-c-www.ostbelgien.eu_christian_charlier

Kettenis - Am Busch

See the map See the map
Back

Kettenis - Am Busch

Castles and manor houses in the butter country

The area around Kettenis

The area around Kettenis features an astonishing variety of historical castles and manor houses. These are often somewhat hidden in the landscape, which is also known as the butterländchen ('butter country') on account of its dairy cattle industry, which has a strong tradition there. On this 79-kilometre castle route, which runs through East Belgium, the Pays de Herve and the neighbouring Netherlands, many of the historical buildings can be explored by car or bike. With only a few exceptions, it is only possible to visit their exterior, since almost all the houses are now privately owned.

Point of interest

See the map


1

Chapel of the mater dolorosa on the Oberste Heide

This chapel was built in 1707. It was consecrated to the mater dolorosa, to whom the citizens of Kettenis submit their requests in a solemn procession each year in September. A stone set in the rubble work edifice (in the pediment facing Nispert and Ketteni

2

Kettenis viewpoint indicator

The Kettenis panorama board is on the edge of the woods in the district known as 'Am Busch'. A bench invites passers-by to stop off for a break at this idyllic location. It stands at hiking node no. 26, between cycling nodes 45 and 34. Because of th

3

Libermé Castle

The setting of Libermé Castle, protected by moats on all sides, is magnificent. The edifice stands in a lowland area just under a kilometre outside Kettenis. The first mention of this castle built in water was in 1334. It was originally a fief from A

4

Philippenhaus, formerly Haus Merols

The Philippenhaus was formerly known as 'Haus Merols'. For 300 years, it was in the possession of the von Hagen family, as indicated by the other name by which it was known: 'Hagenshof'. The country house was given the appearance it has toda

5

Rochus Chapel

This small rubble work edifice took on the appearance it has today in 1834. Typical of the region are its slate roof and the bluestone frame on the door and windows. It was not until 1899 that the chapel was dedicated to St. Roch, the patron saint invoked a

6

St. Brigida's Chapel of Merols

St. Brigida's Chapel in the hamlet of Merols is at a fork in the road on the high road between Walhorn and Raeren. It is likely to have been built in 1749, though some sources say that this place of worship was in fact an extension of a chapel that had

7

St. Catharine's Church in Kettenis

This Catholic parish church is presumed to have been built in the 15th century and then further expanded in the centuries that followed. The oldest parts of the building are the fortified tower and the Gothic main nave.  The high altar is pres

8

St. Nicholas' Church

The municipal architect of Aachen, Laurenz Mefferdatis, built the Catholic parish and deanery churches from 1721-1729 in the renaissance style. The bottom part of the south tower originated from a previous church of the 12th century and is thus one of Eupen

9

Tal Castle

The history of this castle is relatively recent. It was built in 1775 by the Mayor of Eupen, Rainer Franz of Grand Ry, and beautifully fitted out in its interior with tapestries and chimneyplaces. The estate remained in the possession of the family until 18

10

The water castle of Weims

This castle built on the water, a fief from Aachen Minster, was first mentioned in 1334. It was created in the 14th century by partition from the manor of Libermé and was the seat of a collateral line of the von Libermé family. The complex, in

Contact us

High Fens House for Tourism – East Belgium NPO
East Belgium
Place Albert I 29a
4960 Malmedy

T. +32 80 33 02 50
E. info@ostbelgien.eu
S. www.ostbelgien.eu