Go to content

St. Brigida's Chapel of Merols

Description

St. Brigida's Chapel in the hamlet of Merols is at a fork in the road on the high road between Walhorn and Raeren. It is likely to have been built in 1749, though some sources say that this place of worship was in fact an extension of a chapel that had already existed since 1550. Until 1830, that high road was one of the most important arterial roads in the country around Eupen. In fact it is probably of Roman origin. It is part of the pilgrim's way from Eupen to Aachen.
St. Brigida was an Irish nun who lived in the 6th century. Catholic tradition revered her as a protectress of livestock. Inside the chapel, which was renovated in 1974, there is an altar from the 19th century in the baroque style and a statue of St. Brigida. Even today, there is an annual procession of the farmers' guild that undertakes a pilgrimage from Eupen-Kettenis to the St. Brigida Chapel on the feast of Epiphany.

Gallery

Contact details

St. Brigida's Chapel of Merols
Hochstr./Merolser Str.
4701 Kettenis