Go to content

Rochus Chapel

Description

This small rubble work edifice took on the appearance it has today in 1834. Typical of the region are its slate roof and the bluestone frame on the door and windows. It was not until 1899 that the chapel was dedicated to St. Roch, the patron saint invoked against the plague. Since then, each year, a procession to the Rochus Chapel takes place on the festival of St. Roch. In ancient writings, in memory of the apostles setting out into the world from Palestine to proclaim the gospel, it is referred to as the "Chapel of the Apostles' Dispersion". A painted wooden tablet in the interior of the chapel, on which the twelve apostles are depicted, reminds us of that time. Also worth seeing are the plain baroque altar with two columns on each side, and a basin for holy water. The chapel is listed as a historical monument.

Gallery

Contact details

Rochus Chapel
Hochstr.
4701 Kettenis