Go to content
638f03ff06100_schoenberg_panoramafoto_drohne_01-c-christian-charlier

Schönberg

See the map See the map
Back

Schönberg

View of Schönberg and the Our Valley

Schönberg and the Frog with the Cart…

Schönberg is embedded in a hilly forest and meadow landscape and stretches along the numerous wetlands of the river Our. There is almost nothing left of Schönberg Castle on the Dorfhügel hill. However, several display boards give an interesting insight into the eventful history of the area. The reason the Schönbergs are also called frogs is due to a folk festival that took place from 1951 to 1996 – a frog race, which has since been stopped for animal welfare reasons.

Point of interest

See the map
1

Footfalls

The seven footfalls, which originally stood at the cemetery and then from 1938 to 1995 were in the immediate vicinity of the Lourdes grotto, were moved to the present location below the Calvary behind the rectory in 1995. They form a shortened Way of the Cr

2

Former Castle

The rule of the Schönberg was established by the Prüm Abbey and fortified with a castle presumably in the 11th or 12th century. In 1689, troops of Louis XIV destroyed the castle. It was located above the village on a hill. All that remains are a f

3

Großweberbach Valley

The Großweberbach nature reserve covers more than 20 hectares of streamside meadows. The wetlands and spignel meadows preserved there are important habitats for numerous species and at the same time a relic from agricultural production in earlier time

4

Lourdes Grotto and Calvary

The "Our Lady of Lourdes" grotto goes back to an idea Father Franz Darcis had in 1938. The Schönberg clergyman had expressed his wish to create a modest Lourdes grotto in the parish garden. The congregation came up with the plan to build a pu

5

Nordic Walking

In the upper Our Valley, the Nordic Walking Park's four different routes through beautiful landscapes offer optimal conditions for Nordic walking. The routes have different lengths between 5.3 and 13.5 km, as well as different difficulty levels. A board

6

Our Valley

The Our is a mountain stream that collects its water from over 600 springs. It originates at Loshaimergraben in Belgian territory and runs largely along the Belgian-German and Luxembourgish-German borders. After approximately 100 km, the Our flows into the

7

Schönberg viewpoint indicator

At the site of the Viewpoint indicator, King Baudouin of Belgium said during a visit to the region in 1967: "Do you know what a paradise you are living in here?" A panoramic photo from a bird's-eye view shows you the surrounding area and its t

8

St. George's Parish Church

The parish church of Schönberg, which was completed in 1828 according to plans of the famous Prussian architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel, was hit hard by shells at the beginning of the Ardennes offensive on 16 December 1944, which meant the church had t

9

Tunnel on the Banks of the Our

Only the entrance area of the tunnel in the Langerbach on the banks of the Our is accessible. It probably dates back to the Schönberg mining period and could have been a test tunnel for a mine. In earlier times, it was popularly believed that it was a

10

Village Square, König-Baudouin-Platz

At König-Baudouin-Platz near the church, there is a monument in honour of the American soldiers who fell or were imprisoned around Schönberg during World War II. In December 1944, Schönberg was the scene of bitter battles between the German t

Contact us

High Fens House for Tourism – East Belgium NPO
East Belgium
Place Albert I 29a
4960 Malmedy

T. +32 80 33 02 50
E. info@ostbelgien.eu
S. www.ostbelgien.eu