Go to content


See the map See the map


The pottery village

In the footsteps of the potters

On a ramble through Raeren, you come across many traces of the former Raeren pottery and the typical rough stone architecture. Cultural and historical signposting explains the historical background.

Point of interest

See the map

Café Pavillon

The Café Pavillon at the control cabin offers guests snacks and drinks in a railway history setting. Apart from the pavilion with its terrace, there is also a converted railway wagon in which guests can sit. If the weather is nice, the café al


Cultural and historical signposting

The numerous historical relics that bear witness to Raeren's turbulent past were documented by cultural and historical signposting in 2019. The 21 bluestone columns are distributed among the former hamlets that form the village of Raeren today. The sign



Originally, the village of Raeren consisted of numerous hamlets. These settlements, not directly contiguous, were connected by footpaths, so-called stiegelwege. The stiegel were openings with wooden stakes or stones which prevented grazing livestock from pa


Haus Raeren

Haus Raeren is a well-preserved castle built in water which has not changed much, and it is the direct neighbour of Raeren Castle. It was built in bluestone just like the latter, in the 14th century as a donjon, a mediaeval residential and defensive tower.


Haus Zahlepohl

Typical of Raeren are houses made of broken bluestone such as Haus Zahlepohl. They were constructed on the principle that the potters would build a residence, next to it a workshop and then, adjacent to that, stables – a design which was extended in t


High Bridge

The High Bridge spans the Periol stream to the south of Raeren Castle. It was built in the 18th century in the bluestone typical of the region. There is a footpath that goes over the bridge. Under the bridge, wagons laden with pottery were driven along the



In 1865, the miller Wilhelm Joseph Schauff made the bark mill and his home available to the municipality of Raeren so that a place of residence could be established for the sick and the elderly and those who were unable to work. Today, the Marienheim, born


Old genuflection monuments

A peculiarity of the region around Raeren are the genuflection monuments, known in the vernacular as héllejehüssje (little shrines). They are to be found in many places in the various hamlets and are part of the so-called 'small cultural her


Old wells

The wells in the Raeren hamlets were not just places where water could be obtained, but also important meeting places for the people's leisure and social life. 'Am Plei' features one of the few wells with a hand pump that are still preserved. In


Raeren Castle & Pottery Museum

Raeren Castle was built in the 14th century at the confluence of the Iter and Periol streams. The two streams supplied the moat which surrounded the castle and protected its inhabitants against intruders. In the 16th century, the castle was extended, and in


Raeren viewpoint indicator

The panorama board is in the immediate vicinity of the Café Pavillon on the former station premises. Because of its elevated position, there is a particularly beautiful view from here. On the panorama board, an aerial photograph and a map of the vill


Residence of the sculptor Leonard Mennicken

The residence of the sculptor Leonard Mennicken is situated in the district Am Plei. He lived in Raeren from 1874 until his death in 1969, and was known above all for his works of sacred art, which adorn numerous churches in the Rhineland and Eifel. The Rae


Saxby control cabin

The Saxby control cabin at the former station in Raeren is regarded as one of the few completely preserved installations of its kind. The invention by the Englishman John Saxby marked the beginning of safety technology in railway signalling: in this generat


St. Anna's Chapel

This chapel was built in 1716 and dedicated to St. Anna, who was one of the most revered patron saints in the region as from the 15th century. In 1991, four stations of the cross by the ceramicist and professor of art Maria Hasemeier-Eulenbuch were installe


St. Nikolaus' Parish Church

The Raeren Parish Church of St. Nikolaus is regarded as one of the most beautiful churches in the Eupener Land. It was built in rough bluestone at the beginning of the 18th century. The windows of this hall church with its three naves have Romanesque round


Station premises & Vennbahn cycle path

Raeren station, meanwhile disused, is for the most part still preserved in its original condition as far as the technical installations go. It was commissioned in 1885 when, with the Vennbahn, a line was opened running from Aachen and Stolberg via Monschau


The pottery village of Raeren

The village of Raeren is located right on the Belgian-German border and it is the historical core of what is now the municipality of Raeren. The village is characterised by its rough stone architecture and still has its original appearance. The name Raeren

Contact us

High Fens House for Tourism – East Belgium NPO
East Belgium
Place Albert I 29a
4960 Malmedy

T. +32 80 33 02 50
E. info@ostbelgien.eu
S. www.ostbelgien.eu