Monastery church

Description

The foundation stone of the monastery church of the Capuchins was laid in 1665. In the 18th century, the building burned down and was re-erected on plans made by the Aachen architect Joseph Moretti. This was the place of worship that the local textile craftsmen favoured.

The side altars are particularly interesting: the one on the left was donated by weavers; the one on the right bears the inscription 'This altar was a gift from the cloth cutters of Eupen in 1777'; it features depictions of cutting shears and fuller’s teasel. The dried, spiky heads of the teasel were used to roughen the wool cloth, an important step in the processing of the fabric, which was then cut with the shears.

Gallery

Contact details

Monastery church
Rathausplatz 15
4700 Eupen