Go to content

Eyneburg

Description

The Eyneburg was built on a hill high up above the Göhl. It is one of the few hilltop castles in the former Duchy of Limburg. The name Eyneburg or Eyneberghe comes from a family to whom this manor house belonged in the 13th century. The name 'Emmaburg', used for the complex in the vernacular, goes back to a legend according to which a daughter of Charlemagne, Emma, lived there for a time. However, this association, not tenable in historical terms, was not made until the 19th century. Today the Eyneburg is privately owned. Its valuable interior was auctioned off in 1958.

Gallery

Contact details

Eyneburg
Chemin d'Emmaburg
4728 Kelmis