Go to content

Bütgenbach’s manor


The listed manor of Bütgenbach is a four-wing rubble work building in the centre of the village and the oldest building in the municipality of Bütgenbach. The property can be documented up to the 15th century. The main parts of the manor buildings date from the 17th and 18th centuries. At that time, the Bütgenbach manor was a fiefdom of the county of Vianden. Later owners were the von Reiffenberg and von Baring families, who are remembered by the well-preserved coat of arms stones from 1623 (north wing) and 1754 (gate construction of the main front on the east side). In addition, the manor was the seat of the magistrate and the court. The court was composed of the magistrate, the 7 lay judges, the court messenger and the court clerk. The simple peasants, who were appointed as lay judges by the magistrate, the highest court lord in the village, could pronounce death sentences themselves. These were then carried out on the gallows not far from the Bütgenbacher hut.
From the beginning of the 1990s, the manor, threatened with decay, was converted into a nursing home for the elderly. Only the front wing of the manor between the two arches remained the property of the municipality of Bütgenbach and is used for cultural purposes. Artists use the rooms in the front wing for a variety of temporary exhibitions.


Contact details

Bütgenbach’s manor
Zum Walkerstal
4750 Bütgenbach